Divorce mediation is a process by which a third-party mediator assists two parties in coming to an agreement during a divorce proceeding. This process is seen as a cost-effective alternative to litigating in court, with an emphasis on collaboration and problem-solving. Divorce mediation can be a rewarding career for those who are passionate about helping others through difficult periods in their lives.
To become an efficient divorce mediator, it is advisable to enroll in a divorce mediation training program. However, selecting the right training program can be overwhelming, considering the numerous options available in the market.
Here, we have put together a list of the best divorce mediation training programs to help aspiring divorce mediators choose wisely.
1. The National Institute for Trial Advocacy (NITA) – NITA offers a 40-hour program that aims to provide basic training in facilitative mediation techniques that are commonly utilized in divorce mediation. The training is practical and hands-on, and participants benefit from personalized coaching and feedback.
2. The Center for Understanding in Conflict (CUC) – CUC is a well-known organization in the divorce mediation industry, and its 40-hour training program is highly sought-after. The program is client-centered and covers various aspects of divorce mediation, such as power imbalances, communication breakthroughs, and understanding different perspectives.
3. The Academy of Professional Family Mediators (APFM) – The APFM offers a two-part divorce mediation training program that comes highly recommended. The training covers initial client contact, advanced facilitation techniques, and ethical considerations. Participants also have access to specialized coaching and mentorship.
4. The American Bar Association (ABA) – The ABA offers an exceptional 40-hour program that covers the fundamentals of divorce mediation. Participants learn how to resolve disputes and draft agreements, and they also have access to networking opportunities and an online community.
5. The Divorce Mediation Training Program (DMTP) – The DMTP is a comprehensive training program that spans six months and covers all aspects of divorce mediation. The program includes live and online sessions, mentoring, and hands-on training. Participants are also provided with a wealth of resources, including mediation scripts and templates.
Enrolling in a divorce mediation training program is a vital step in launching a successful career as a mediator. However, choosing the right program is essential. The programs listed above are some of the best divorce mediation training programs available today. Each program offers excellent training in divorce mediation, and participants benefit from personalized coaching and mentorship.